Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Davis's swimming/drowning lesson


Some of you know that our sweet little Davis had a serious accident yesterday afternoon. We just brought him home from the hospital and hope that he will continue to show signs of full recovery.
Yesterday afternoon Davis was in a private one-on-one swimming lesson at our neighbor's pool. It was his first swimming lesson, which I'd scheduled with the same girl who has taught Macie and Reid for the past 2 1/2 years. The first few lessons are usually difficult for the child, as Robin teaches them to swim with their face underwater, and it is more successful/less traumatic if the parent is not there. So I dropped him off (he was soooo excited) and walked back home to put baby Danny to sleep and to fold some laundry. When I walked back half-an-hour later to pick Davis up, I was greeted at the edge of the driveway by Macie, who was running and shouted that Davis was not breathing and his lips were blue. I looked toward the pool to see Robin setting his limp body on the deck. His belly was distended, his skin was completely white and his lips were blue. His eyes were rolled back in his head, he was motionless. I quickly assessed him and noted that he was not breathing and he did not have a pulse. He was gone.
I immediately began CPR, as Robin spoke to the 911 operator. After 1 1/2 to 2 minutes of emergency CPR and about one million silent prayers as I tried to save my baby's life, Davis regained consciousness. He could not speak or move, but I could tell he was alive. He gradually started screaming/moaning. I picked him up and tried to get him to respond to me, to come back to me. He could not answer my questions, could not move to show me if he hurt -- he was floppy and unresponsive. It felt like eternity watching the ambulance drive up the street to the Heaton's home. The paramedics immediately put him on oxygen and gave him an IV. I sprinted home to grab baby Danny (who I'd left sleeping in his crib, assuming I'd be back in 2 minutes). God was hearing my prayers -- as I sprinted home my visiting teacher Janene Green drove by, and stopped to help. And as I grabbed baby Danny and ran out the door, Patty Monson called and offered to watch all of my children while I went to the hospital. I am so grateful for their help and support, and thankful that they were in the right place at the right time. It made the rest of the day more bearable, knowing that my other children were in good hands.
In the ambulance Davis was still unresponsive as the paramedics tried to get his vitals. We were unable to get a SpO2, he was tachycardic and resps were high. He was half-awake, half-asleep. I called Danny and told him to meet me at the ER. By the time we arrived at the hospital, Davis was not really all there, but was able to verbalize his name when asked. He recognized me and could hold my hand. When the doctor asked him if he was scared, he said "no." He was coming back to us.
At the hospital we ran lots of blood tests, did a chest xray, ran a CT scan. We were trying to figure out what had happened. My kids verified the swimming teacher's story, but Davis's test results seem to indicate that he was not breathing or perfusing for much longer than add up with our story. We are "very lucky that he is alive" and "that [I] knew what to do and performed CPR", according to the doctors. We weren't "lucky" in my opinion -- we were blessed. I am so thankful that God let us keep our sweet little Davis; so thankful that he is alive and strong still. I never imagined that I would have to perform CPR on my own child. I pray that I never will have to again.
We are not sure if he had a seizure (he had high sugar and high lactate, but that also might have been from the swimming lesson and stress response) or if he had a severe bronchospasm or if he was under for longer than Robin said or what exactly caused it all. All we know is that he was gone, and we are very blessed to have him back with us.
Davis was in a deep sleep until about 7:45, when he briefly woke up and vomitted A TON of what appeared to be water. He was awake for a few minutes, and able to talk with us. He was not his normal self -- very lethargic and it was difficult to get him to talk -- but he was coherent. He recognized us and had an awareness of where he was. His chest x-ray was clear. His CT scan showed water in his sinuses, but no visible brain damage. The blood results showed extremely high levels of lactate in his brain, meaning that he had been without oxygen to the brain for a long time. He vomited some more and fell back into a deep sleep.
He awoke late in the night after soaking his bed and seemed to be our good ol' Davis again. He asked for chocolate milk. He wanted to watch Robin Hood. He was sweet and happy. The doctors discharged him this afternoon and he is home with us now. He appears to be healthy and normal -- as if nothing had happened. We are so grateful for his miraculous recovery, and we pray that he will suffer no lasting effects from this incident.
For those who have been "in-the-loop" the past two days, thank you so much for your prayers and help. I feel so blessed to have such wonderful friends and neighbors and family to support us. We love you all. Thank you for your prayers and faith.

9 comments:

Camp Directors said...

You are in my prayers! I'm balling my eyes out reading this. I hope everything is okay! I love you!!

Dave, Lisa, Summer and Jace said...

Oh my gosh, I haven't looked at blogs in three months and surprise I look at yours thinking you probably haven't updated either and yikes I read this.

That is the worst story ever. I am so glad that he is okay, what a miracle. Anyway I'm going to call you tomorrow and if you don't have dinner plans I'm dropping off some Papa Murphys that you cook whenever you want.

Love ya, we'll keep Davis in our prayers! Call ya tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that he is doing so much better. Hoping for a full and complete recovery.

Tawny said...

geeze Mary!! I can't believe it! I need to get re-certified in CPR! Pat yourself on the back for being so calm and level headed! I'm so sorry you had to go through that, i'm SO relieved that everything turned out all right. Give that little trooper a huge hug for me! :)

Malia said...

Mary, how brave you must have been to see your sweet boy and get to work right away, as any one of us would. I could only imagine the thoughts running through your head as you performed CPR. I think I would have been crying too much to be effective in CPR. Way to go and I am so happy that he is happy and healthy. I wouldn't want to take swimming lessons ever again either!

Angela Baird said...

Haven't heard anything for a couple of days, so I assume things continue to go well home from the hospital...we certainly hope so. We love you all!

AnnaleeMG said...

Oh, WOW! What an ordeal! Great job at staying calm, praying and doing what needed to be done! I just love and miss all of you, and am very happy that little Davis is doing well! God bless you and your family!

Natasha said...

Oh mary! My heart hurts for what you had to go through! I can't even imagine. What a blessing that he is alright! I'm going with Tawny to get certified. I'm just so grateful that he is alright and that you knew what to do!

J said...

I just had an email from Danny today and it sounds like Davis is doing well. I know Heavenly Father is watching out for you. Love you guys.