Saturday, February 25, 2012

Oh Happy Day!

LUKE AUGUST (yes, we finally filled out his birth certificate form!) is coming home today.
He is finishing up his "car seat test" (really! He has to sit in his car seat for an hour and a half while we monitor his vital signs, to make sure he can "tolerate" it. Please!), and then we have some forms to sign with the doctor, and then they will FINALLY release him from the NICU. Our little captive is coming home!
The sweet guy sleeping in his "car seat test"
Luke is breathing well, eating well, sleeping well, voiding well, and is just as sweet as the minute he was born. His bilirubin levels are still being monitored, but we can manage that from home with frequent doctor and hospital lab visits this week. We've been given strict instructions not to take him out of the house (anywhere -- grocery store, library, church -- you name it -- until spring), have our kids change clothes when they get home from school and wash their hands vigorously, no face or hand kisses, antibacterial hand gel like crazy, etc., etc., etc.  Pretty much, I was asked to be a complete germ Nazi. Which I will be, if that means I get to take my munchkin home. But it is silly that he has to be able to "tolerate" his car seat for 1 1/2 hours, when they tell me that I am not allowed to take him anywhere -- don't you think?
I am oh-so-tired (I left the hospital for the first time after midnight last night, and then had to drive back three times in the middle of the night to feed him -- so I got a grand total of 3 hours of sleep), but I'd do anything for this sweetie-pie. I'm so grateful that my prayers have been answered and he will be coming home. We really love little Luke and are super excited for him to join our family.
Thanks for all of your love and prayers! What a blessing it is to have Luke August in our family!

2 comments:

J said...

Wow, I don't know how you are going to do it! We are so excited for you guys and happy that Luke finally gets to go home. We love you.

Faiver and Andrea said...

Congratulations! I hope everything goes well. You and your family are in our prayers. We love you!!