Monday, July 20, 2009

Happy Birthday, Baby Danny!

Friday, July 17th, was a momentous day -- baby Daniel Joseph Gunnell was born! After going several days overdue, we decided to force him into this world, whether he wanted to come or not! We woke up early to check into Timpanogas Hospital, and around 8 AM they started me on a Pitocin IV drip. An hour later they broke my water, and at 9:30 AM they started my epidural. When they returned 15 minutes later to cath me, they decided to check me again (I was "half-way" there when I'd first checked in, to begin with). Well, wouldn't you know it... I was already complete. My nurse called Dr. Savage (and told her to HURRY!), and as soon as she got there little Danny boy was born. 10:25 AM. Ooohhh, he hurt coming out! :) Even though I had an epidural, it wasn't in full effect, so this was probably the closest I'll come to natural chldbirth. No thanks! It was quite painful. But it was worth it to have him here. :) The nurses were teasing me about setting the world record for fastest induction. Daddy Danny was able to catch his slippery little namesake, with some help from Dr. Savage. He now wants to be referred to as "Doctor Danny".

Baby Danny came out sleepy and sweet, and has hardly cried since he was born 3 days ago. He is a real live doll! I think he looks like his sister Macie -- definitely the "Gunnell" look -- cute little nose and mouth, pudgy cheeks and the same little chin as Davis. We love him lots and lots. Here are some pictures of his first few days of life:

*On our way to the hospital -- one last "preggo" picture. We had to take one with Cougar Stadium in the background -- just in case baby Danny wins the Heisman Trophy some day.


* The little guy is just so snuggly! I could kiss him all day long!

*Just call him "Doctor Danny" now.... We actually have a really cool picture of him delivering the baby, (the student nurse took it as an "live action shot") but it's a little too graphic to post on the family blog. Sorry folks. :)


*Brand spankin' new!


*One quick photo before they started me on the Pitocin drip. We were excited for the little guy to come!

*Dr. Savage poses with Danny. Doesn't he look happy to be here?

*Whoo-hoo! A new little brother! All 4 Gunnell kids in one hospital chair.

*Big bro. and big sis. giving Danny some love!

*Davis was making funny faces for the camera. :)

*Reid plans on teaching baby Danny how to play basketball and football.

*Macie is a mini mommy -- I know she'll be a huge help with the little guy!

*So happy to have my little guy here!

*Daddy is proud of his baby Danny.

*Davis specializes in giving baby Danny lots of kisses.

*Uncle John came to visit his newest nephew


*Grams has been a HUGE help! We'd be in trouble without her! And the kids have been loving their lives!

*We're so happy that Grampy could fly in and see baby Danny on his birthday!

*Happy to be home!!!

22 comments:

Janene said...

Congratulations on your new little boy! Don't worry--three boys are so much fun! He is darling, and you look great Mary! It was fun to read an update on your family.

Sarah said...

Congratulations!!! I love Baby Danny's yummy cheeks! He is adorable. I'm so glad he is here, Mary!

Raquel Acevedo said...

BEAUTIFUL! LOVE HIM! Looks like a Gunnell. Love you guys!

Hillary said...

Beautiful! All of it. He just looks like a wonderful bundle. Congrats to you all!

Campbell Family said...

Oh my goodness...you guys are all beautiful...especially little Danny! Congratulations:) Mary, you need to tell me what you are doing to look so fantastic after giving birth! I know that pain all too well...I had our last one with no drugs. You can't even explain what it feels like! Happy to hear that you are all doing well!

Heather Rice said...

Oh Mary, he is perfect! I am so happy he is here safe and sound! Congratulations!

Beth said...

Amazing. Such a cute baby. I'm so happy for you and your family! Thanks for sharing.

Marsha Judkins said...

Give yourself a huge pat on the back for getting this blog updated within 4 days of giving birth!!!My baby is 12 years old and I haven't managed to update anything in my life. Your family is beautiful and baby Danny is delicious!

Melanie said...

He's adorable! I love his chubby, cute little cheeks. Congratulations on little Danny! I'm sure we'll meet him when he's like, five years old, so keep him happy and healthy until then!

elicia said...

Way to go Mary! You've graduated to four kids. I think you are spectacular, and your baby is pretty stinkin' cute too!

Lisa said...

Such a cutie. I am coming to visit him this week!

Carrie Ann said...

I am SO happy for you that he's finally here! I have never heard of an induction going that fast... seriously. I can't wait to meet him in person! Congrats!

Shaunte' said...

He is such a little doll, and you look great! I will always remember this little guy's b-day because it's my birthday too! Congratulations!

Camp Directors said...

Congratulations. He's so cute! I know how it feels, my epidural didn't work with Cru. It's the WORST!!!

The Foote Family said...

That's my cute new nephew. I can't wait to see him in person. :)

Leah said...

congratulations...Baby Danny is adorable...looks like he fits right in with the rest of them. Glad to hear everything went well and that you have lots of help around !!! Can't wait to see him someday! Good luck with all the going ons with 4 kiddos

Julie Rae said...

What a cutie!! Congrats to you guys! I hope you are getting some rest.

Amber said...

congratulations!!!!! and welcome, little Danny!!!

Olivia said...

Congrats on number 4! Wow... I can hardly handle 3 best of luck in the coming months. He is a handsome little guy. Well done.

J said...

It was really fun to see you guys and your new baby. He is adorable. I wished we had planned more time to hang out with you guys. Next summer if you are not recovering from having a baby we will have to plan the good part of a day to hang out.

chelsey said...

Congratulations to you and your family! He's beautiful!
Brent & Chelsey Pugh

JoAnna Anderson said...

Congrats Mary! What a darling family you have & you look so great! We have some Gunnels that just moved into our ward...Stacy & Gary- any relation to them? Anyway, love reading all your updates. Take care!