Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Some Useful Information

I am laying here, sicker-than-sick, miserable and cranky. Yes, I am sick, AGAIN. This has been the winter of disease at my home, and once again, I'm afflicted. This time, it's strep throat. I do have some newly acquired, useful information to share about it, however. Next time you get strep throat, if your doctor offers you a choice between oral antibiotics (Z-pac or Ammoxicillin) or a shot, TAKE THE ORAL ANTIBIOTICS. I am a living witness that the shot is a VERY BAD IDEA. My doctor convinced me that the oral antibiotics might be too much for my system right now, with how nauseated and retchy I've been, and that the shot would be the best way to go because I wouldn't have to worry about throwing it up. In retrospect, I see that it was poor advice, but I bought in. "A 2 second shot and I'm cured," I thought. How wrong I was. Enter the nurse with a TWO-INCH NEEDLE as thick as a straw, instructing me to pull down my pants. Then she tells me that this huge shot is the consistency of peanut butter, so once she pokes me, it will take a "LITTLE WHILE"  for her to push it all in. She recommends that I FIRMLY GRIP the examination table as I bend over. GREAT. Then, when she is done, she tells me that the shot doesn't work for 24 hours. WHAT?!?!  So here I am, 11 hours later, still with fever, aches, pains, pounding headache, incredibly sore throat, AND a left butt-cheek that THROBS. Take my advice. Oral antibiotics for strep.

9 comments:

Dave, Lisa, Summer and Jace said...

Wow I have never heard it described that way. Summer has had the "peanut butter" shot quite a few times. I never realized how painful it was. I probably should have guessed by the fact that she would start shaking as we walked into the doctors office. Luckily she has forgotten and loves the doctor now. I hope you feel better. Maybe the shot will be worth it tomorrow when you hopefully start to feel better!

Campbell Family said...

I'm so sorry you aren't feeling well:( We've all been sick around here too...it stinks! Hope that shot kicks in soon and you get better!

Amy and David Ziehl said...

OH Mary! I am so sorry! Thanks for the heads up too! I dint think I would have gone for the sot to begin with but now I know that I will never get a peanut butter shot EVER! I would have DIED! Get better soon!

Melanie said...

Oh my word. Strep throat sounds terrible but the shot sounds even worse!! Good luck - you deserve some reprieve.

Cassidy said...

Hope you feel better...Being sick is awful but especially when you are the mom and others depend on you. We love and miss you!

The Foote Family said...

Oooooo buddy, that shot sounds like a doozy. I hope to never have that experience in my life and will gladly choose a ZPac over Peanut butter injected into my buttock with a straw needle! Ugh--even the thought of it gives me the heebie jeebies. haha I'm sorry you are sick again. That REALLY stinks! I hope you feel better really fast. We miss you!

Janene said...

K-your description of that shot should cure anyone of ever thinking that is the easier way out. I got chills thinking about it. Your trip to Hawaii looks like so much fun--it is fun to see your family all grown up. =) Also, I didn't know you had a miscarriage--I'm so sorry. I'm glad things are going well with this new baby in your tummy.

Leah said...

so sorry to hear...hope you get feeling better soon, if that's even possible when your prego. Hawaii looked like a blast...cute pictures!

Angela Baird said...

What a nightmare of a winter, but thankfully spring is on its way along with better health?!! Your pics of Hawaii are fun, too...haven't looked at your blog in a while! Fun updates!